Animal Health Certificates for Travel

 In Pet Advice

Travelling to the EU with your pet has changed.

The UK pet passport has now been replaced by the Animal Health Certificate (AHC).

What your pet needs to apply for an animal health certificate

  • Your dog, cat or ferret must be microchipped.
  • Your dog, cat or ferret needs to be vaccinated against rabies (NB: your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated)
  • You will need to wait 21 days after any primary vaccinations before you travel so bear this in mind when you are planning your travel and AHC appointment

How do I get an animal health certificate?

An animal health certificate (AHC) can only be issued by an Official Veterinarian (OV). An appointment for this can be arranged by contacting your veterinary practice.

When you apply for an animal health certificate, you will need to take your pet, along with vaccination and other medical records, to the issuing vet.

An Animal Health Certificate normally includes details of:

  • Pet owner’s details
  • Your pet’s description
  • Rabies vaccination details (your animal will need to have been vaccinated at least three weeks prior to the AHC appointment and have had a UK Rabies vaccine within the past three years)
  • Rabies blood test (as required)
  • Canine tapeworm treatment (as required)
  • Intended country of entry (The AHC has to be issued in the language of the country in which you are entering the EU)

Unfortunately, from 29th April 2022, AMC will not longer be processing Animal Health Certificates.

The government have published further information on their website for owners, please contact us if you need further information 0208 450 2228.

Recent Posts